Friday, July 28, 2006

Depression: Myth or Reality?

The treatments of psychiatry are getting more and more ridiclous. And more and more people are calling them out on it. HERE (and another site which basically says depression is a mirage and its due to peoples' self-esteem and there inability to cope with change). I don't agree with this since obviously the person that wrote this has put up an defense mechanism, and an overgeneralizion of this malaise. However, how can I argue against what he says? There are no tests for depression, albeit, they can scan your brain and find abnormal features. This abnormal features, however, are not a conclusive diagnosis of depression.

It's like I'm in limbo. I can not prove I have depression, yet I can not disprove it. And there is where the loophole comes in. Skeptics of major depression feed on this but most probably don't know any kinda of scientific findings I sited. So, I feel they draw from their experience and just say "theres the strong-minded and the weak-minded." Another point I want to make is even in the psychology and psychiatry fields there are skeptics. So, how could some outsider expect to know depression is real when the experts are ignorant as well?

I just know that in an argument there is always an ignorant party. Thus, there would be no argument. Obviously, the guy that wrote the piece has suffered some type of depression. So, he contends that he has manage to beat depression so why can't the world? This is just a speculation on my part because before "the beast" hit me I've had those bouts of depression and beat them. Subsequently, I had the same opinion as him. So, I can not blame someone that is ignorant of the subject.

While I suffer from insomnia, anxiety, depression, sucidial thoughts, no relationships, agorphobia, and no ambition I grapple with the idea of is depression real? Why can't I snap out of it? I've tried my damnest to break out of it to no avail. So while the majority of people disregard the fact depression is real, I suffer the pain that people could think that. However, this does not really bother me that much because I'm just trying to make it through the day.

In summary, One day we will find the cause of this malaise and I will rejoice. Wow, that was a postive comment from a depressed person. Nahh it's called hope and one day there will be a real treatment for the beast.

No comments: